![]() |
| The hole is dug and the work has begun!!!! |
August has been, by far, the busiest month of the summer. Which is a bit ironic because I truly believed it would be the most laid back. Gotta love surprises! My parents and brother came to town on July 31 because... drum roll please... my parents finally started building their house here in Utah! They stayed until the 10th which was wonderful! I love my family so much and love having them close to me! Although I am SO sad about my parents leaving Hawaii, I am twice as happy that they will be so close to me! Jeremy and I have already warned them that we'll be out there every weekend and over for dinner every night. :) (To which my dad said... "Now let's not wear out your welcome." Right... like my parents could ever get sick of me!) As much fun as it was having them here it was crazy. My schedule always needs tweaking when I have guests. And Mom and Dad were at the constant beck and call of the contractor and sub-contractors. It was just nuts. Jeremiah left for NAU on the 10th and the same day Mom and Dad went to go stay in a hotel for a few days before camping. Plans changed and instead of camping they ended up driving down to AZ to see Uncle Brent & Auntie Dor. Jeremy and I were both jealous!
![]() |
| The bride and groom with the Bride's Family and Friends |
The same day Mom & Dad left, Ms. Melanie came to town! It had been two years since we had seen each other and it was fabulous! Mel's little sister, Melissa was getting married and Mel, Shaun and her two cute little boys stayed with me and Jeremy. It's always interesting to me that there are some people who you can go years without seeing and yet, when you get together, you can pick up right where you left off! Mel is definitely one of those people in my life. As soon as we start hanging out we're right back in Helaman Halls, giggling and scheming. :)
There was lots to be done between Wednesday, when they arrived and Saturday, when the wedding was. There were lots of late nights, after midnight runs to Smiths, and getting really silly once "the drunken hour" hit... once again, all throw backs to "the good old days". Mel did all of the bouquets, boutonnieres and centerpieces for the wedding. They all turned out marvelously! The wedding turned out to be a huge success and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves!
On a less positive note.... Well, I shouldn't say that... On a more business-like note, I HAVE to finish my thesis by the end of August! Anyone who is reading this probably knows me well enough to know that I am the Queen... Empress... GODDESS... of PROCRASTINATION! Seriously.... I freakin' rock at procrastinating... I know... nothing to be proud of. Anyway, this is it. I'll have a rough draft done by Wednesday (yes, that's tomorrow) night, meet with Dr. Brown (my chair) on Thursday, do some edits next week and then set a date to defend on Aug. 27th. I can do this... I just have to keep telling myself this.
I have decided not to teach this fall. I'm very sad about it, but feel it's the right decision right now. I need time to be able to finish my thesis, and get a good start on my dissertation. Plus, I can make more money just working the 30 hours BYU allows grad students to work. And I love my job. My co-workers are wonderful, I have the best boss in the whole world and my work is almost always interesting. Also, I WILL be going home some time in September or October. The plan was to go home during August but if you have read this posting you know that's not happening. Not teaching gives me the flexibility to go to Hawaii during the semester. So, no teaching. :( but also kinda :)
![]() |
| Sheila and I dancing in Vegas |
I've been dancing hula all summer with my friend,
Sheila, and in the month of July we had three other ladies join us. In June, Sheila and I performed at a beauty pageant luncheon in Las Vegas, which was SO much fun. [I'm still planning on writing a whole entry about the Vegas trip... Someday.] Performing is simply the icing on the cake for us. It's not imperative but it's fun and an added bonus. As I was thinking about performing I had a wonderful idea. I shared with Sheila and she also thought it was a great plan. Each month we will choose a retirement center in Utah Valley and perform there. We feel it give us a chance to perform and would double as a great service to the elderly in our community. In July we visited Jamestown and had a blast! We're planning on continuing through the fall and winter semesters! Hula is such a beautiful art form and I just love sharing it with others! I'm grateful for my upbringing in Hawaii and the culture that I was immersed in. My heart is made so full when I am able to share the Aloha spirit with others and see their growing appreciation for hula and Hawaiian culture.
Sheila, and in the month of July we had three other ladies join us. In June, Sheila and I performed at a beauty pageant luncheon in Las Vegas, which was SO much fun. [I'm still planning on writing a whole entry about the Vegas trip... Someday.] Performing is simply the icing on the cake for us. It's not imperative but it's fun and an added bonus. As I was thinking about performing I had a wonderful idea. I shared with Sheila and she also thought it was a great plan. Each month we will choose a retirement center in Utah Valley and perform there. We feel it give us a chance to perform and would double as a great service to the elderly in our community. In July we visited Jamestown and had a blast! We're planning on continuing through the fall and winter semesters! Hula is such a beautiful art form and I just love sharing it with others! I'm grateful for my upbringing in Hawaii and the culture that I was immersed in. My heart is made so full when I am able to share the Aloha spirit with others and see their growing appreciation for hula and Hawaiian culture.
![]() |
| Jeremy & a Rainbow 7.10.10 |
Let's see... I think that's all for me! Jeremy has been having a good summer. He's been doing a lot of fly fishing and has become passionate about tying his own flies! I'm happy to see him enjoying a sport/hobby so thoroughly. It's good exercise and, much to my chagrin, has given him an amazing tan! (His new favorite game is... "Let's see who's darker!") He likes his new job although I don't think it's challenging enough for him. Hopefully that will become a blessing once school starts again! Speaking of school, I think (hope) he's excited to jump feet first into his new major courses this Fall! I hope he finds a passion that will fuel his desire to learn and grow.
Well, this is a pretty long post and I haven't even begun to cover everything I've missed in the last little while... but it's a start!
Well, this is a pretty long post and I haven't even begun to cover everything I've missed in the last little while... but it's a start!




Way to go Chicka!!! I can not believe how busy you are! I just love and miss your positive attitude and your smiley face!!! I am so glad things are going well for you guys. YAY you get to go to Hawaii...WOWHOOO its about dang time lady!!!
ReplyDeleteYay! I'm glad you posted something on facebook so I could find your blog. :) Dang girl, no wonder you're stressed. I was having anxiety just reading your post. ;) I totally know what you mean about procrastinating. Right there with you. And for the most part it's always worked out for me, but typically with some added stress in my life. I hope your thesis went well. Good luck and be sure to breathe when everything is done!
ReplyDelete