Friday, March 25, 2011

Luck O' The Irish

I would have to say that St. Patrick's Day is my third favorite holiday behind Halloween and Christmas. I know it seems strange, especially since I don't drink, but I just LOVE it! I have a lot of Irish blood in me, and my mom has always made St. Patty's day special. Growing up there was always decorations, cute shamrock and leprechaun jewelry, fun Irish t-shirts, corned beef and cabbage for dinner, Irish soda bread, some green-themed dessert, Van Morrison and the Chieftans playing in the background, and then, of course, an annual viewing of Finian's Rainbow! I remember the MOST homesick I ever got during my freshman year in college was on St. Patrick's Day. I suppose it's because nobody really celebrates the holiday the way we did... and not having any of the familiar traditions was heartbreaking.

This year we got to celebrate in my parents' new house! :) And... my baby brother was up here visiting from NAU for Spring Break! We haven't all been together for St. Patrick's Day in a VERY long time! AND... as an added bonus we got to introduce Ms. Julia to the classic Hancock St. Patty's day. It was wonderful!

Mom and Jer waiting for dinner to be ready!
Delicious Irish Soda bread... It would have been better without so many carroway seeds... but it was traditional!

I love this picture of me and my baby brother!

Jeremy had to do some reading for school... but he made himself comfortable!

We also got in some basketball... it is March Madness time after all!

Lani watching TV... she has to wear little socks in "Grandma & Grandpa's" new house so she doesn't scratch the floor!

Digging in to the yummy food! I'm sure it was inadvertent that Dad's holding the knife towards Jeremy! ;)

Brothers-in-law enjoying the grub!

It was a wonderful meal, and a wonderful evening spent with people I love! And... EVERYONE STAYED AWAKE FOR FINIAN'S RAINBOW!!!! It was a St. Patrick's Day miracle! :)

1 comment:

  1. HOOOOORAAAAYYYY!!! I am SO glad you posted, TWICE! esp. since I don't have facebook. I am so glad to see you look so happy. Your parents place looks beautiful! I bet you are just loving it! Tell your madre I say hello. You are right my dear friend. I do owe you a phone call. I vow to call you before Thursday. Miss you my Hawaiian/Irish friend!

    ReplyDelete